Whitney Johnson is the CEO of WLJ Advisors and one of the 50 leading business thinkers in the world as named by Thinkers50. She is an award-winning author, world-class keynote speaker, frequent lecturer for Harvard Business School’s Corporate Learning and an executive coach and advisor to CEOs. In this episode, Whitney and Brian talk about her critically-acclaimed book “Disrupt Yourself: Putting the Power of Disruptive Innovation to Work.”
Disruption Tips from Whitney Johnson:
- Everyone’s on an S curve of learning in business.
- if you’re willing to disrupt yourself then you can become a high growth individual who can manage change more effectively.
- If an employee is at the low end of the S curve, they may be overwhelmed because it feels like they’re not growing at all. This is when they need your support.
- At the high end of the S curve, employees are good at what they do, but because they’re no longer growing at the rate they once were, they become complacent. They need you to either push them back into the sweet spot of the S-curve or let them jump to the bottom of a new one.
- Regardless of where employees are on the S-curve, you need to know what to do to effectively manage them.
- One of the keys to successful disruption is embracing constraints. Bumping up against constraints gives you the friction needed in order to gain energy and momentum to climb an S curve.
- Figure out what’s within your control because there is much more within your control than you realize.